Thursday, September 9, 2010

To Blog Or Not To Blog ...


“What do you think about using blogs?” In all honesty I must say I have very little experience with blogs. I love to write, so I created one back in 2007, but never used it. I thought, “Well, who would ever want to read anything that I posted?” So the idea kind of went to the wayside.

I do see, though, after revising this old blog of mine and reading our assignment, that blogs can be very useful for education. The chapter points out that bloggers are afforded the opportunity to link their blogs to various sites in order to prove one’s own opinions expressed by blogging. One may also refute others opinions being expressed by fellow bloggers.  The interaction would help generate interest in students, and therefore could become a useful learning tool.

Documentary type blogs, chronicles, mapping devises given via “gadgets” and links, teachers assignments, and chances to interact with other students, are a few ways that blogging can be an effective learning tool. It seems that students tend to “perform” better when using blogs to ensure a response from an audience. Interaction and holding interest in a subject that is actually involving students would have to be at least as effective as a lecture atmosphere provided in some classrooms. One’s mind is involved and has not a chance to wonder if one is engaged in the subject matter. What an enormous opportunity for students and teachers, alike.

Designating defined tasks, expressing goals by means of sharing ideas, reading together and posting opinions on subject matter,  as well as posting researched links and insightful input, are all ways I’d love to incorporate the use of blogs in my classroom.

1 comment:

ck2514 said...

Good post!

Thanks for sharing. :)

CK